Choir Application Information and Instructions
Applications are now being accepted for participation in Missoula, Montana’s 35th Anniversary Montana International Choral Festival, July 13-16, 2022!
We are glad you are considering attending the Montana International Choral Festival. In Missoula, we offer a warm welcome to choirs from every part of the world. Our Choral Festival is a non-competitive festival held every three years. We bring together choirs reflecting the rich, varied choral traditions of the world. We limit ourselves to choirs of exceptional musical quality. Participation is by official invitation only.
Fees: We do not charge choirs a fee to apply to or participate in the Montana International Choral Festival nor is there any payment for Choirs performances. There are no prizes, cash or otherwise, for any participating choir.
Visas: We urge international choirs to submit their visa applications promptly. In the past, a few choirs have been unable to attend the Choral Festival because they submitted visa applications too late. Visa information, guidance, and deadlines will be provided to all invited choirs.
Travel: All choirs are responsible for arranging and paying for travel to and from Missoula, Montana, United States.
Lodging, Food, and Transportation:
International choirs (choirs not from U.S. or Canada): While staying in Missoula we offer international choirs free meals, and free local transportation on all Festival days. International choirs have the choice to elect for free private housing with local hosts, or to arrange and pay for their own lodging in University of Montana dormitories or local hotels, hostels, or inns. Many choirs choose to house together in the university dormitories for ease of access to rehearsal facilities, on-campus meals, and concert venues. Choirs electing to pay for their own local hotel lodging will be offered free meals at the University of Montana “Food Zoo” on all Festival days, transportation will also be provided to and from the university campus to all external concert venues/Festival events. Note that all free housing is provided on a first come, first served basis, and is limited to availability of local hosts.
U.S. and Canadian choirs: Choirs from the United States and Canada are responsible for arranging and paying for all of their own housing, meals, and transportation.
The Choral Festival will provide all invited choirs with information about housing and dining opportunities in the Missoula area. During Festival Week, the Choral Festival offers all invited choirs several free group meals and social functions.
Festival Participation: All choirs are required to participate in the entire Festival program July 13-16, 2022, including the Final Celebration concert on the evening of the final day of the Festival: July 16, 2022. Festival choirs waive all fees and rights to audio and video recordings made or authorized by the Montana International Choral Festival during the course of the Festival and agree to the release waiver on the application form.
Application Process: Applications are now being accepted for all interested choirs. To apply for the Montana International Choral Festival, fill out the form below and provide us with all requested materials. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. After the Artistic Committee has carefully considered a choir’s application and how it could contribute to the Festival as a whole, our Artistic Director will notify the choir if it has been invited to participate in the Montana International Choral Festival. Because we can accommodate only a limited number of choirs, we recommend that you submit your application at the earliest appropriate date.
You will need to include the following materials with your application:
- A short biography of the choir, not to exceed a 200-word count, including the choir’s history and other items of interest (for example: recordings made, awards received, or festival participation).
- A biography of the choir’s conductor, not to exceed a 150-word count.
- A current color photo of the choir, used for publicity purposes if the choir is invited. Photo specifications: .tif preferred .jpg acceptable, high resolution (minimum 300 pixels/square inch at 4″ x 5″ or 120 pixels/square centimeters at 10.16cm x 12.7cm).
- Please provide three or four quality video recordings on YouTube of your choir in contrasting styles to show the kind of music you plan to present at the Choral Festival. These video recordings should be dated within the last three years and with the current conductor. A minimum of three recordings is required.
- For all international choir applicants, please provide a brief description of your preferred plans for lodging during the Festival and whether local hosts are preferred for your choir at cost to the Festival, or if you will arrange for your own housing, paid by your choir. Local hosts are available on a first come, first served basis and are subject to availability.
- Acceptance of Montana International Festival Terms and Conditions below.
Montana International Festival Terms and Conditions
By submitting this application, I/we hereby agree to the following terms and conditions (all items below must be checked in order to proceed with the application process).